I was going to do a general post but I just wasn’t getting through it, so I figured I’d do a recipe post instead. This very simple recipe is based off of one from Food and Wine magazine, but I changed it up a little bit. You can pretty much add in or take out anything you want with these burritos…they’re super versitile! I improvised a bit which is why some of the ingredient amounts are a little vague.
2 thin-cut chicken breast cutlets, cut into small pieces
2 12-inch flour tortilla rolls
1/2 of a 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
cooked rice (about a cup)
2 chopped scallions/green onions
1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
diced red bell pepper (about 2 tbsp)
1/2 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1. Saute your chicken in about a tsp of oil and season with some cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper (you can season beforehand as well if that is easier). Cook through (about 10 mins).
2. Add in your garlic, scallions, black beans, and red bell pepper and saute for a couple more minutes until all ingredients are soft and mixed through.
3. Add in your rice and lemon or lime juice. I honestly just guessed with how much rice to use but I’m going to estimate it at one cup, but feel free to adjust to your preference. Mix everything together and cook a bit more until rice is warm. My rice was in the fridge beforehand, so this took a bit longer.
4. Warm your tortillas up a little bit (I stuck mine in the microwave for about 30 seconds). Add 1/4 cup of the cheese to each tortilla and then top with the mixture, adding it evenly to the middle of each tortilla. You may have a little bit of the mixture left over, which is fine…you don’t want your burritos to be too overstuffed. Then, roll it up! There’s a great video on YouTube that I found for how to do this, and mine came out perfectly.
5. Wrap your burritos in tinfoil, and place in your preheated oven (350 degrees) for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
6. Cut in half if desired, and nom away!
I love how easy and fast this recipe is, and the bf (lover of burritos) approved as well =p I think this will definitely be a staple
This looks delicious!! I’m all about fast and flavorful when it comes to eating and I think this recipe fulfills both. =]